Wednesday, June 23, 2010

News from the IWC front line!!!

Victory for whales! Yet we still have a long way to go to protect their wellbeing for the future.

My latest journey has taken me from the UK to Holland to Morocco via Germany! It was a journey well worth the amount of public transport and the destination has eliminated all doubt from my mind about taking that first step.

I arrived back in Morocco last night, and after a quick surf met up with Nori Neumman, a fellow Cetacean lover and activist who had come all the way from Portugal. We finished off the amazing banners she had started and prepared for the day ahead, not really knowing what it would bring.

The next morning we headed into Agadir early, and as we approached the conference hall plastered in posters of (ironically) beautiful, free whales I could feel a lump of emotion in my throat. I suddenly knew I was completely in the right place and time for once.
















Around 11am one of the anti-whaling NGO members informed us that the deal was indeed off, and as no arrangement could be reached in fact, nothing would change. For those that opposed the proposal to lift the ban on commercial whaling; our mission was successful and the moratorium is still firmly in place.





Tonight I meet with Howie and co. to celebrate and discuss more action whilst we’re here, in prime striking distance of the IWC. I will be putting together more information and will get it out very soon! But for now, for those of you that signed the petitions, know that this was a victory in standing united against whaling, and hopefully the stepping stone towards many more victories.



Peace and love
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment